NEW LIFE WORSHIP CENTER is a loving church family. We have been a part of the Dayton community for over seventy-five years.
Our MISSION is to be a relevant church in our city and our world, providing a conduit from man to God and God to man through Evangelism, Fellowship, Worship, Teaching and Preaching.
Our MOTTO is “A Place For You” and we trust that you will find that to be true for you and your family.
Our church has a wonderful HISTORY!
In the 1930’s a small group of people would meet together in their homes to worship God. By 1938 these meetings moved from homes to a small storefront at 1109 East Fifth Street. They were Apostolic Pentecostal believers who saw a need to preach the message of Acts chapter 2 and be filled with the Holy Spirit. God blessed their meetings and various outreach tools, one of which was a magazine publication called The Apostolic Pathfinder. They soon saw a need to have a pastor to oversee the work. Elder Frank Davis, one of the preachers among them, accepted the office.
A few years later they acquired a building near East Fifth Street and Wayne Avenue, which was called the “the point” because of its architectural design. During the next few years, they not only met here for worship, but in the summers they conducted tent revivals in this area and in small towns nearby.
God continued to bless, and the church continued to grow. They purchased a building within walking distance of “the point.” The year was 1945 and after a few weeks of renovations, this large house at 52 Walnut Street was now a place of worship. During the next fifteen years the Lord blessed the church with many wonderful conversions, healings and miracles that thrilled the congregation. As a generation of young people became adults and the senior saints were slowing down, God called them off the field of ministry. They have since gone home to be with the Lord.
The church moved again in 1960. This time they purchased a very nice church building needing no renovations, just move in and have church. The location was 5900 North Dixie Drive. Everyone was encouraged and looking forward to great and exciting things in Christ. While the congregation was enjoying the forward move of God, Pastor Frank Davis was called home to be with the Lord in 1961. After 23 years of service to the church, his labor of love was completed at age 79.
Elder William R. Coleman, who served as assistant pastor for many years, was installed as pastor of Jesus Name Pentecostal Church in September, 1961. For the next 14 years the church continued to move forward in the things of God. Pastor Coleman loved the church, and the church loved him. He was an adept preacher and teacher. In counseling, he was perceptive and skilled in helping people through trouble, as he understood how fragile the human spirit can be through prolonged stress. He was well known in the ministerial fellowship and his tenure as pastor was good for the church.
In November of 1975 Elder William Coleman retired as Pastor, though he continued his ministry of teaching. His son and assistant Pastor Ronald Coleman, was elected to the pastorate. During his tenure the church continued to grow and prosper in the things of God. Departments were reorganized, given materials and plans to achieve results, and met on a monthly basis. Another generation of young people were beginning to take on responsibility in various ministries. People were organized to knock on doors and drive buses in outreach. The Search for Truth Bible study was started, and the tape ministry continued to be an effective tool. A K-12 Christian school was run for nine years, and a Day Care for seven. The pastor’s wife, Sister Norma Coleman, served as president of the Ladies’ Auxiliary, which worked hard raising many funds. All of these ministries and the people involved in the work is why the church continued to move forward to fulfill God’s plan for New Life Worship Center.
In the 1980’s, the church moved to purchase some land under the leading of Elder Moses. After several years, it was decided the time had come—it was time to build! Plans were prepared, money was raised, and the work began. Everybody was working in some manner on the project. When the money was low, the givers gave more. When some workers quit for a while, the remaining workers worked more. Through the highs and lows, this church rallied and finished the building! February 28, 1999, the New Life Worship Center church family was thrilled to enjoy their first service in the new building at their current location, 3350 Benchwood Rd.
On January 27, 2006, Reverend Thomas Friend was ordained as the new Pastor of New Life Worship Center. Pastor Ronald Coleman assumed the office of Bishop. Both of these offices are faithfully executed by these men today. Under the direction of Pastor Friend, Bishop Coleman and the leading of the Holy Spirit, New Life’s best days lie ahead! We will press on, more buildings to be built and more works to be done in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and for His glory!
Heb 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith…